Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Catching up and moving over

Christmas at the Lewis Home - December 2007

I love Christmas. I know it means more to me than it does to anyone else in my home, but I do....I love it. I go all out on decorations most of the time, but I didn't get to this year, because I was gone to D.A.R.E. school during December. But that didn't take away from my excitement!

More than anything else, Jonathan wanted turtles for Christmas. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - his favorite thing in the world. But boy the things are expensive. So I bought the whole set of them off of ebay. It worked out very well.

We should have saved the turtles til last to open. Once the box was ripped apart and the contents were revealed, Jonathan didn't want to open anything else! He was so thankful for his turtles....he said to us several times throughout the next few days, "Thank you for getting me my turtles." Imagine...the $15 I spent buying them off of ebay isn't even measurable in the value they have to Jonathan.

Everyone else was very happy with their loot too. Annah got a tea set from Grandma that she treasures, and Matthew was overjoyed at his new skateboard and skateboarding tips books. All in all, it was a good day.

A few pictures:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Blog moved from myspace....actual date for this entry is October 2, 2007

Holidays are more for moms

When you think about it, don't holidays really mean more to moms than they do for kids? Let's talk Halloween. I picked Annah's costume - she's a darling little ladybug; but do you really think she cares what she's dressed up as? Heck, do you think that she even cares that she's dressing up? Just getting the candy is enough for her! And let's not forget Jonathan; I picked out a cute Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle costume for him, which, don't get me wrong - he absolutely loves! But on top of that, I made him a cute scarecrow outfit for "Dress like a scarecrow" day at his preschool. I put TIME in on this thing folks...got my fingers poked by the straw I was was carefully attaching to his brand new straw hat (that I carefully frayed to make it look worn!), got glue all over my clothes making the perfect little straw bundles to put in this pockets...and so on and so forth.

So I get up this morning - earlier than I normally do, so I would have time to do everything - and start dressing him like a scarecrow. And the race is on. We fight. We fight because he doesn't want a rope for a belt. He doesn't want the bandana around his neck. He doesn't want the hat on. No shoes! He kicks me as I try to get them on. So into Time-Out he goes, at 6:25 in the morning. I finally am able to convince him that my way is the right way - but only with the help of a bit of bribery with some gummy Crabby Patties. And the whole time, he's still screaming, "I DON'T WANT TO BE A SCARECROW!"

Now in my reasonable mind, I know replying as I did was a bit wrong. But at 6:30 a.m., after putting as much work into this as I had....all I could come up with was, "You might not want to be a scarecrow, but YOU'RE GOING TO BE A SCARECROW AND YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE IT!!!!!"

Yeah. I'm pretty sure the whole thing meant more to me than it did to him. But in the end, it was all worth it. I got a picture of him all dressed up. And shortly after that, the scarecrow and all my hard work was lost in a pile of straw, rope, and bandana on the floor.

Wonder what next Halloween will bring for us?

Photobucket

and of course, I need to add some pictures of Annah and Matthew taken around the same time - which Jonathan calls their Scarecrow pictures!

Photobucket

Photobucket


Blog moved from myspace....actual date for this entry is October 2, 2007

Kids say the darndest things!

You've heard the saying before....kids say the darndest things. Well, that's never held more true than it is with Jonathan! That said, today's blog entry is a two parter.

He had a bad day at school on Friday....seriously rough. Talking back to the teacher, telling her no to her requests and asking her why....you know, typical toddler stuff. So after going to the sitter's house after school was out, he got a small "talking-to" from our like-family babysitter. She told him that he had to be nice to his teacher and do what she says to do. She also told him there was NO back-talking.

He gave this a moment of thought, and replying as only Jonathan could, asked, "Well, what about front-talking?"

***********************************************************

I'll say it again, just to reiterate; kid's say the darndest things! I was sitting at the computer the other night, with my legs folded "indian style", as we used to call it. Jonathan ran in and said, "You're sitting criss-cross-applesauce!" (I know this is the new term for indian style, because Matthew learned it when he was in Kindergarten!) I didn't realize that Jonathan knew the term though...so I asked, "What do you know about criss-cross-applesauce?"

Of course, he wouldn't answer me, and I tried to get him to show me how to do it. However, as Jonathan tends to react, he wouldn't perform on command. So I tried some reverse psychology (that always works, right?). "You can't criss-cross-applesauce!"

To which he replied, "Yeah, and I can't zip my mouth either."

How do you respond to that????


Blog moved from myspace....actual date for this entry is SEPTEMBER 12, 2007

Broken Feet and Earrings

Wow. How's that for a subject? Last night was killer here at our house. I started out my evening by tripping over the baby gate in the kitchen and banging my foot on the top of it; I surely thought it was broken. I limped around for hours before finally going to bed with an ice pack on it. And if that wasn't enough, Annah had a bad, bad night as well.

How her earring came out in her crib is beyond me - since she's never messed with them in her life - but how it wound up on the inside of her nightgown is an even bigger mystery. And the bad thing was - I didn't know about it! She kept rolling over and crying because it was poking her. And I'd go in, pick her up, hug her, and put her back down....only to start the whole process over again. Finally on the third or forth try, the earring came out of her nightgown and onto the floor, where I finally figured out what the heck was going on.

So forget the old classic "Bedknobs and Broomsticks".....we've got Broken Feet and Earrings!


Blog moved from myspace....actual date for this entry is SEPTEMBER 9, 2007

A Bike Parade

Last week, I decided that it was a beautiful day, and that I'd be crazy not to take the kids outside for some quality fun time with mom. And was "crazy" the appropriate word!

Have you ever tried taking two toddlers out on tricycles alone? I definately don't recommend it! After a couple of minutes of fun picture taking, the kids got serious about riding; Annah went north, and Jonathan went south. Matthew was somewhere in the middle. So I opted to chase Annah, while Matthew went after Jonathan (as well as he could for a 10 year old, anyway!). We wound up with Annah's tricycle parked in the middle of the road, with me chasing her running little self as she got further and further away from me. Luckily Jonathan stayed pretty close to Matthew during the whole thing, but they were quite a ways away from me, which made me frantic to get Annah and get back towards them. Finally I rounded everyone up and we headed back to the house - with me carrying Annah in one arm and her tricycle in the other, Jonathan running up the driveway ahead of us, and Matthew on his bike, while carrying Jonathan's tricycle in his free hand!

Wow....what a bike parade we had. And you know what? I wouldn't have missed it for the world!




Blog moved from myspace....actual date for this entry is SEPTEMBER 3, 2007
Labor Day

Why do they call Labor day "Labor Day"? (Who is "they" anyway?) Is it because they know you'll be off from work and at home, and since you never have free time, you'll be working your butt off trying to accomplish things that you wouldn't have time for otherwise? I mean seriously, this has GOT to be the reason. For my Labor Day holiday today, I've fixed our vertical blinds, put up two new window shades, cleaned house (several times now), done my shopping, fixed countless cups and bottles of milk and apple juice, done a few loads of laundry, and most everything else that has to be accomplished on a regular basis. Shouldn't "Labor Day" be a day of rest? Shouldn't there be a law or something against violating it? Maybe I need to go arrest myself. Nah. There'd be too much to do when I got home afterwards.


July, 2007 - Summer Vacation, Washington, D.C.

Just a little something to remember it by....

No comments:

"Distance is not for the fearful, but for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough."