Friday, October 16, 2009

Happy Birthday Andrew

Today, in celebration of the short life of our son Andrew, our family spent a while at his grave. The six of us. This was Jacob's first visit, and while I know he'll never remember it, it was important to me that we all be there.

Fall is definately here in Georgia, and today it was actually chilly. It reminded me of the days I spent at Andrew's grave in the weeks after his death. I would sit on the cold stones and cry. Today I cried as well, but it was a good feeling to be there with our whole family. I hope Andrew knew that we were there.

Some people may find it slightly morbid that I take pictures of his grave, but it's all I have of him. To have all of my children together, at one spot, means a lot to me. It felt right for the first time in a while.

Annah and I spent some time today making a new flower arrangement (using some of the flowers from a basket that was originally on his grave when he was buried), and Annah picked out a pumpkin to put there in celebration of fall. We put the flowers and the pumpkin in their place, took some pictures, and said some prayers. Then we packed up and headed home.

Happy Birthday Andrew. I love you so much...












Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Heather said...

It's not morbid at all. I think it's so sweet to see your children putting flowers on their brother's grave. Hopefully it will help with the healing.

"Distance is not for the fearful, but for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough."