I heard a song today that almost broke my heart. Not because I'm experiencing it now, but I've been there.
You see, five years ago this past April, my soulmate was injured in Iraq. I'd spent six months waiting to hear that he was coming home, but I wasn't prepared to get the phone call saying Austin had been injured. He was med-evac'd to a hospital in Spain, and later flown home, where he underwent surgery to repair his damaged shoulder. I remember joking that although I was sorry he was hurt, I was surely glad that he was home!
The months before his injury are still fresh in my mind. I vividly recall waking up in the middle of the night to his phone calls (my nights were his days) and grabbing the list of things I wanted to tell him off of my bedside table; I had to write things down as I thought of them, or in my excitement of talking to Austin, I'd forget. His calls were never long....being on a satelite phone tends to shorten conversations.
I also remember other little things...taking Matthew to karate tournaments, Austin's mom going with us so that didn't have to go alone. Or going to parent-teacher night at school, minus a parent. Even driving around on patrol at work, wishing that I could meet up with Austin and talk during some down time. Instead I'd park somewhere and write letter after letter and mail to him. And all the time I wanted him just to come home.
So....even thought it's been several years, the feelings this song brought up still feel pretty fresh. So....in honor of my husband, and all of those that serve...."Come Home Soon," by SheDaisy.
3 comments:
Aw I never knew he was hurt over there Stacy!
Good grief Stacy!!! You should put a disclaimer on this post...I cry easy anyways these days...this wrecked me!! It was beautiful, and you have a talent for writing.
Hats off to your husband and all those who serve. I was going to join the military as well and follow in my brother's footsteps and become a linguist. Alas, he learned Arabic and has PTSD and I got diabetes in hospital so that disqualified me from serving my country. But I have a lot of respect for the men who serve. Tell him I said thank you.
Post a Comment