Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day labors

It was a really nice, long weekend for us. Yesterday was Labor Day, and we were able to enjoy an extra day off work/school. What made it even better was that we were able to all be together. That doesn't happen much.

Austin got out and cut the grass and cleaned the yard on Saturday, and I did my major inside cleaning over the regular weekend so that Monday would be a stress free day. We invited Malew up, and put the grill to work. My goal? To cook enough food so that I wouldn't have to cook this week! And so far, it's worked! We ate good too....spare ribs, barbequed chicken, hot dogs, hamburgers, corn on the cob, green bean casserole, baked beans, Mommy/Annah-made (out of a box) cake, and ice cream. It was a feast!

The kids got to play outside for a bit, although the rain kept threatening to run us inside. Austin spent a good deal of the day playing playstation with Jonathan and beating new levels on the Lego Indiana Jones game. Matthew went off on his own to play outside, and Annah and I headed into town later in the afternoon to get her hair cut. It really was a nice day - the nicest and most relaxing (although I worked my behind off on the food!) day in a while. It's nice to have one of those every now and again.

And of course, I took some pictures....

Jonathan and Jackie Bear (Jackie Bear is Jonathan's class friend at school; he lives at school during the week, but the teacher picks someone for Jackie Bear to go home with on the weekends so that he can be taken care of. Then the kids and their families get to write in Jackie Bear's journal about all the fun things they got to do together. Jackie Bear had lots of fun at the Lewis home!):
















Annah's new hair cut:


Annah helped Mommy make the cake for dessert; too bad we forgot to take pictures pictures after it was decorated! It was her first time helping in the kitchen, and she really did a great job!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love your background!!!

Dontcha love holidays and yummy food? Smart thinking - enjoy your week off from cooking :)

Marla said...

I love your new background! Great that you all spent some time together. Those days are the best, even if you are working hard.

Heather said...

Ok - it's later. Add some pictures! Tell Austin I'm totally frustrated with the Indian Jones game. I beat all the levels but I can't unlock much and it drove me nuts. :P Sounds like you had a great day!

"Distance is not for the fearful, but for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough."