Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Goodbye summer, hello school!

I'm excited. Today we met with Jonathan's Kindergarten teacher, and I'm very pleased. After a couple of days of frustration over where he'd be, I think we got lucky. Ms. Black seems like a very nice lady, and Jonathan liked her a lot. He's looking forward to Monday, and I'm excited about him starting Kindergarten. Wow...that's a hard one to wrap my head around...Jonathan in Kindergarten. How'd that slip up on me?

Next week also brings big changes for Matthew. Tuesday evening is his orientation for GMC, and he officially starts school on Friday, August 10. I made arrangements through the counselor for him to be put in the band class....he was in band at Oak Hill last year and did very well. I understand that GMC has an excellent band program and that they get to do a lot of extra stuff, like parades and trips and such...much more than he got to do before. I think he'll enjoy it, although he really wants to try his hand at baseball instead. But since that doesn't start til spring, and since Matthew isn't really athletically inclined anyway, I think band is a good place to start, especially since he's got some experience in it.

My mom and I took him on Monday to get fitted/purchase his uniforms; that was exciting and shocking all at the same time. He looked handsome, but the cost of the stuff almost gave me a heart attack. I'm lucky that my mom helped us out on the costs for a huge chunk of it...thanks again mom. I couldn't have done it alone! The cost of the uniforms and stuff was more than monthly tuition!!! Of course, I still had to seperately buy gym shoes, black dress-down (Class D)pants, white undershirts, name tags, black socks, have the Class A pants hemmed, and have his name embroidered on his jacket. Then I had to get school supplies for both Matthew and Jonathan. So things have been busy. But now it's all done and we're just waiting for the big days.

So...summer is almost over, and I can't say I'm sorry. I know you shouldn't wish your life away, but I'm really not. As summer draws to a close, it brings fall, and fall brings big changes, fun, and foremost on my mind right now, it brings Jacob. So I'm not wishing life away....I'm wishing it closer!

No comments:

"Distance is not for the fearful, but for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough."