Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It's not that I don't like you...I just don't want to talk to you!

Seriously. People tend to say some really dumb things to pregnant women...I'm not sure why. But at this stage in my pregnancy, people constantly feel the need to make some kind of comment. I have started avoiding eye contact with people, thus eliminating the need for casual conversation, just because of this; most of the time, strangers are the worst. That said, here is a "Pregnant Women 101" course.

Do not tell a pregnant woman that you don't believe she can get any bigger (gonna give credit to my husband for that one, but I will say he really was joking - I hope!). Don't ask a pregnant woman, "You haven't had that baby yet?!?" If you can't tell by looking, you really shouldn't ask. Don't tell a pregnant woman that it looks like there's more than one baby in there; we are already overly conscience about our appearances...we don't need anything else to worry about.

It is perfectly acceptable to ask how much longer we have. But if our answer shocks you, please keep it to yourself. We are already anxiously counting down the days, sometimes in frustration. Don't ask a pregnant woman, "Don't you know what causes that?!?" Truly, we do! And most of us actually plan it!

The most important rule of Pregnant Women 101 is this: use common sense. If it would offend you, or even if it MIGHT offend you, it probably WILL offend us! Our hormones are so far out of whack right now, it doesnt' take much!

Don't get me wrong now...I'm not bitter at all. I just hate when people speak before they think. Chalk it up to being hugely pregnant in the 105 Georgia heat, and cut me some slack! ;)

No comments:

"Distance is not for the fearful, but for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough."