Thursday, October 9, 2008

The day from.....

Yeah, it was one of those days. It started off pretty normal (if there is such a thing in our life!); I had three CHAMPS classes to teach yesterday, and then had plans to leave work and take Jonathan to a doctor's appointment in Warner Robins. But life had different plans.

During my last class, the front office called and said that I had a phone call in the teacher's workroom. Odd, because nobody ever contacts me at my schools; I immediately knew something was wrong.

It was Jonathan's school. One of the administrator's, Ms. Hollis, said that Jonathan had fallen and "bumped" his mouth, and that he'd probably need a stitch or two. Now, I unfortunately have a tendency to panic, but there was good reason this time. I made a mad dash back to the classroom that I was teaching in, made my excuses, packed up and got out of there.

It was a short drive over to the Early Learning Center...it was just next door from where I'd been teaching. I ran down the hallway as fast as I could safely make it, and walked into Jonathan's classroom to see his teacher holding him on her lap, an ice pack and a bunch of paper towels pressed to his mouth. I got over to him and pulled the towels away...and almost freaked. The wide open space that used to be his lip upset me; there was a gap of about a half an inch that completely opened up his lip and split it in two.

After a quick conversation with the other adults in the room, Jonathan's teacher helped me get Jonathan loaded up in the patrol car, and the three of us took off towards the emergency room. We didn't have to wait too terribly long, and then we were taken on to the back to get started on some stitches. I won't even get into how much Jonathan screamed during the process (however I will say that his screaming was more directed at the fact that three people were laying on top of him, not allowing him to move, rather than the stitches that were being put into his mouth), but eight painful ones later, we were done. Or so we thought.

The nurse had us sign the discharge papers, and we were on our way. But no sooner had I gotten Jonathan into the car seat, when he reached up and yanked out the main stitch. So we turned around and paraded back inside for another round of stitching.

Finally we were truly on our way out of there and hopefully on the road to both recovery and home! It was a long night of Jonathan pulling at those stitches, and he had a lot of pain, but we made it through. Hopefully we're over the worst part of it. We go back to the ER on Tuesday to get the stitches out.

And of course, what would this be without a pictures of my little man's battle scars?

No comments:

"Distance is not for the fearful, but for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough."