Sunday, October 19, 2008

More tears

Just when I thought my tears were starting to dry, a fresh new batch started; we went to the funeral home this afternoon. To walk in and see a tiny white casket, to know that my baby's body is inside...it was more than I could take, and I broke down. I'm glad that Austin and I went in first; it gave me a moment to just let it out.

Austin and I had gone into town earlier and together we'd picked out a stuffed animal blanky for Andrew, and we took that in with us. The kids came in, and Matthew broke down as well. Jonathan and Annah were very curious, and Jonathan really wanted to see Andrew. Austin and I explained to him that we couldn't see him, but we could talk to him if we wanted. Austin let Jonathan go up and talk to his brother, and Jonathan was very sweet. He told Andrew that he wished he could meet him and that he loved him.

We talked to the kids about the blankey we'd picked out, and everyone hugged it and kissed it and we all put it on top of Andrew's little bed. Then Annah, completely on her own, decided that she wanted to leave her new pink penguin toy with Andrew, and Jonathan agreed that it was a great idea, (I later learned that Jonathan brought this up to begin earlier, while in the car with MaLew - so it was his idea to begin with, I think) and left his brand new Star Wars figure on top of the casket. We ended our visit with a family prayer, our family of six, all together for the first and last time.

I left there feeling overwhelmed, angry, and hurting all over again, but with a heart full of joy because of the kindness of my children. I'm happy that we could have family prayer together, and I am very thankful that my family recognizes that Andrew will always have a place with us, regardless of where his spirit dwells.

8 comments:

Kate said...

Stacy, I don't know what to say to bring you any comfort. Your children are so sweet and this was such a touching post. I'm thinking about you a lot and praying for your sweet family.

Jenna said...

Stacy...my goodness. I am so sad for you. Your family is so beautiful. I am sorry you have to go through this. You're in my prayers. I will be thinking of you tomorrow.

Stacey said...

Stacy, that was a beautiful, heartbreaking post. I know words mean squat right now but I am truly sorry that you are going through this. I'm praying for you and your family.

Heather said...

It sounds like the children are handling it well. It was bittersweet the way you described being together for the first and last time. No parent should experience this. I'm thinking of you.

Marla said...

You have very sweet children Stacy. Hang in there, you have a great support system.

Rebecca said...

I'm so sorry you have to go through this. Our prayers are with you. Please call me if you need anything. ♥

Unknown said...

You're in my prayers!

camille said...

I am sitting here in tears doing the ugly cry! BLECK. lol.

Look at what a great mother you are. your children have learned from your example (Austin's as well) and their hearts are full of love and compassion. Andrew has sooooo much love coming his way I am sure he is beaming in his perfect state.

Thank you for sharing such a difficult thing that is going on in your life.

"Distance is not for the fearful, but for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough."