You know that saying? The straw that broke the camel's back? Well, it happened yesterday, and I snapped.
I left town for a couple of days, and when I came back, I had a message from my insurance company for me to call them. I did - immediately, because who knows when they called - and the lady was less than compassionate. She began asking really pointed questions....and what it came down to was that the insurance company believes that I had an abortion! WTH? It seems that medical terminolgy catagorizes the death of a "fetus" (I hate that word - this was my BABY!) before birth as an abortion (another word that I fully detest). Mine was classified as a "missed aboration", because I didn't go into labor on my own after Andrew died, and I had to be induced. However, the idiots at my insurance company obviously aren't up-to-date on medical language, and just made horrible assumptions.
I lost it on the phone with this woman. I told her that NOTHING about our situation was voluntary (she actually asked if I had this "procedure" voluntarily!), and that our baby had DIED! And that I had to be induced, go through labor, and deliver my baby! I was so upset, and was bawling on the phone with her the whole time. She finally told me that they would have to call my doctor's office to verify all of this, and she had no more questions for me. Again, WTH? She didn't believe me.
I just hung up. It was too late to call my doctor's office, and I don't think I could have done it anyway. I called Austin and we vented and cried to each other for a while, then I felt better.
I've been remarkably sane feeling since then. I actually slept a bit last night. I hope this is the beginning of the upswing, but I have my doubts. But...only time will tell.
Time. That word has a whole new meaning for me.
1 comment:
stacy, i'm especially sorry about this. they called my m/c the same thing back in 2002, and i was induced as well, and didn't have any problems with our insurance. that insurance company sure needs some sensitivity lessons and to fix the terminology of what you went through. i hate that term as well :( i hope your mil was able to get it straightened out.
Post a Comment