Monday, October 20, 2008

Godspeed, little man

My son's funeral was today; although there were many, many joys of the day, I think I can honestly say that it's been the worst day of my life.

We only had a graveside service for Andrew, so we had the option to just meet at the cemetery, but I felt that making the drive with him was the thing to do. We met at the funeral home early, and a couple of my closest friends from the Sheriff's Office (Jennifer and Shanon) were there to give us an escort to the cemetary. (It was a bit different than the normal escort we give to the public, because the cemetary that we were going to was outside of our county, and we normally don't do that - but this was a special situation for my department because of us.)

Anyway, we spent a little more time with Andrew at the funeral home, said some private goodbyes, and got ready to leave. When we got on the road, I was flooded with emotion. Every intersection we came to, and I mean each and every one, was filled with City of Milledgeville police cars, Baldwin County Sheriff's Office patrol cars, Georgia State Patrol cars, and Baldwin County Fire Department trucks, each with their lights flashing. Many had their drivers outside, standing at attention, honoring us and my baby boy as we passed. I felt so loved and respected, and Austin was filled with the same emotions. The tears flowed freely from both of us.

It was a long drive to the cemetary, almost an hour. The little kids were tired before we got there, but they handled it well. When we got there, there were cars everywhere, and I had not realized just how many close friends and family would be there. Austin's Air Force family was there showing their concern for us as well. We parked the van, and waited as they unloaded my baby's tiny casket from the car. When things were settled, we got out and got seated. Jonathan and Annah wanted to play, and we didn't stop them from getting up and walking around Andrew's casket during the service.

The bishop did a great job as he talked about eternal families. He read a letter that his wife had written to us, a letter written from Andrew's perspective. It was very lovely and filled me with love and with pain as he read it aloud. His wife later gave us a framed copy of it.

The service was short, but Austin was given a chance to speak briefly, and it was beautiful. We sang "I am a child of God," then Andrew's grave was dedicated by one of our closest family friends. Then it was over. The public part anyway.

We said our goodbyes to everyone, and spoke to the funeral director about what we wanted to do next. After everyone left, we got the CD player out and played "Godspeed (Sweet Dreams)," as we read a book called "On the night you were born" to Andrew. I bought it right after we found out we were pregnant, and it's been sitting there, waiting to be read. Since we'll never have the chance to read it to him in life, I thought it was appropriate to do there, while his spirit was still present with us.

We said our goodbyes to our baby boy, and Austin placed him into his final resting place. Then I put his puppy blanky on top of his casket, along with Annah's little penguin (Jonathan recinded his gift at the last minute, but that was okay - it was complete the thought that counts and I'm so impressed with my boy for even offering his new toy to his brother), and we watched as he was covered and the flowers were placed on top. It was the hardest thing I've ever done.

My baby is gone. It's hard to move past that, and I'm not sure how to do it. Comments like "It was for the best" and "You can move on now" are utterly absurd, and I get angry every time I hear the words. I'm trying very hard to get a handle on myself, but I'm not doing a very good job.

During family prayer tonight, Annah prayed that "Mommy would be able to stop crying." It broke my heart all over, especially because I don't know if I WANT to stop crying, and I know it hurts her to see it.

Anyway, Godspeed, little man. Sweet dreams, and I love you.

13 comments:

Rebecca said...

Oh Stacy - my heart is breaking. I wish I could have been there for you. That's incredible that the police department did that for you guys. You are sooooo loved. ♥

Kate said...

My heart hurts for you Stacy. I'm so sorry.

Stacey said...

I'm so sorry Stacy. This was a very touching, unbearably sad post and I'm honored to have read it. You are right that those "comforting" words people say to you are crap. The only reason people say them is to make themselves feel better, so I won't say them. You can't move on now because he is your little boy. It wasn't for the best because you don't have your sweet boy with you. Cry as much as you need to. Be angry. Be sad. Do whatever you need to grieve, it's okay, you deserve that right. But know that you are loved and even though you feel like you are so alone in this world with this pain right now, know that there are people waiting to be there for you whenever you are ready. We love you and Heavenly Father DOES love you as well, even though you may not even want to think about that right now.

Jenna said...

Stacy, I'm sorry. It sounds like you had a beautiful memorial service. What an amazing thing the local law enforcement did. They must love you a lot.

God loves you, and he'll be there for you every step of the way as you begin the long, painful healing process.

Marla said...

Stacy the service sounds lovely and I cried to think of all the people honoring your little baby. There are no comforting words to give you, and it is absurd that this could ever be for the best. Just know that you and your family are loved, and Andrew is loved. He was a special spirit and brought so much to your family.

There is no one way that you should handle this, and I think you are handling it the way that you need to. Please know that I am here for you if you need me. If you need to vent, shout, yell, cry, or just talk. I wish I could have been there for Andrew's service, but know that I was there in my thoughts.

You are such a special and amazing mom, and your tears will stop when you are ready. You have such sweet children to be so worried about you.

heather said...

how amazing that all those officers were there to support you yesterday. my thoughts were with you as well. i agree that those comments don't help and they're not what you need to hear right now. be mad and grieve your loss. take one step at a time, one day at a time. for me, the only thing that helped was the passing of time.

Nana Scott XOXO said...

love you, Stacy.

Jeanne said...

Stacy, what a beautiful memorial to your sweet baby boy.

Since I can't "vocalize" what I want to say, I hope that we can communicate "spirit to spirit"...and that you'll feel my love and hugs to you over the miles we are apart.

I understand your sorrow and ache, and you are right...the "comforting" words people give are ridiculous. So all I am going to say is that I love you.

camille said...

Gosh, I guess I am a sobber today. your post touched me once again. Thank you for sharing this extremely painful and heartbreaking experience with us.

I wish I had words of comfort that could help fill the sorrow. I love you girl, and am here for you in any way needed.

Brittney said...

I am so sorry about Andrew. What a beautiful service. I agree also that comforting words never help. No one knows what it feels like until they go through it. It is an unimaginable experience to bury your child.

I love you Stacy.

Anonymous said...

The service sounds as perfect as anything like that could be.

I'm so sorry Stacy. My love and prayers are still being sent. And they will be for as long as you need them.

Heather said...

Oh just cry, cry all you want. Then cry more if you need. It sounds like it was beautiful, as beautiful as something so difficult could be. I love you girl and I'm right here crying with you.

Unknown said...

I'm so sorry Stacy. It sounds like the service was beautiful. I know that God is holding you in his hands and that he's caring for you. We all love you and are praying for you!

"Distance is not for the fearful, but for the bold. It's for those who are willing to spend a lot of time alone in exchange for a little time with the one they love. It's for those knowing a good thing when they see it, even if they don't see it nearly enough."